Saturday, February 27, 2010

Baby Eliza

On February 3rd, 2010 our 3rd child Eliza Lynn Wootton came into this world. Eliza is our little miracle, and beat all of the odds to enter this world safely. Our Dr. amazingly discovered that I had placenta vasa praevia, which is rarely diagnosed before delivery. Most literature on placenta vasa's cite that the fatality rate is 90 to 100%. My Dr. spotted this possible problem at my 20 week ultrasound, so I had ultrasounds monthly after that. I had a specialty ultrasound on January 12th which confirmed my Dr.'s suspicions. That was a very emotional day! I went from thinking I had 6 & 1/2 weeks until my Eliza was due, to being told that in order to ensure her safety they would do a C-Section 3 weeks later. We were also moving in a week and a half from my Dr.'s appointment, so everything was getting crazy. I was also told that I had to be on sort-of bed rest in order to ensure that I didn't have contractions or have my water break, which would be fatal for Eliza. This put our whole move and packing/unpacking on Mike. I may write later about our new house and move in.
Luckily, I made it to our C-Section date with no problems. We went to Alta View for a noon surgery time. My nurse was great and got my first IV in with no problems (I have really bad veins). Then I found out that I had to have a 2nd IV in case I needed a transfusion during the surgery. Unfortunately, that took the anesthesiologist about 5 tries and a lot of pain before he got a vein. With the vasa and the fact that Eliza was breech there was a great chance of excessive bleeding. Before my Dr. came in to do the surgery he had a drug rep. come and ask if he wanted to try a new medicated sponge that reduced bleeding during surgery. By using this sponge my bleeding didn't get out of control, and I didn't need a transfusion. So many blessings while having this little one! While doing the C-Section Eliza was in a position to where she was stuck, and my Dr. needed a vacuum to get her out. Unfortunately the vacuum wasn't in the surgery room, and my Dr. said he lost 10 years of his life while he waited that 1 minute for someone to find the vacuum.
They got Eliza out at 12:44pm and she cried, but only a little bit. I got to see her for about 2 seconds then they rushed her to the nursery. She was not crying and very limp. It turned out that her blood sugar was very low at 32. I had Mike go in with her while they finished up with me. They needed to get an IV in Eliza in order to give her Dextrose, but they couldn't get a vein. It took them lots of tries (in her hands and leg) and about an hour later they were able to get an IV in her head. She weighed in at 5 pounds 12 ounces and was 20 inches tall, which is good considering she was 3 & 1/2 weeks early.





After her injections her BG went up to 75, but then it went down again over the night. She had levels over the next 16 hours of; 49, 34, and 54. We supplemented with Similac, and she finally started stabilizing her 2nd day of life. I had to wait 4 hours after she was born to see my little angel. They were stabilizing her in the nursery, and trying to get my BP to go up, it was about 60/40 during and after the surgery. It was such a relief to finally be able to be with my little miracle and know that she was here safe.
My stay in the hospital was 4 days, and we were lucky to have family come and visit us. The day we had Eliza they changed hospital rules, and allowed siblings of children being born to come and visit. I was very relieved to be able to see my cute Ben and Hailey. Ben was very excited about his new sister, and couldn't have been cuter. My sweet Hailey was not happy that I had to be in the hospital for 4 days, and it took her a little bit to warm up to the idea of a new baby. I was so grateful for family to help out with Ben and Hailey so Mike could come up and visit us girls in the hospital.
It was so wonderful to come home with a healthy baby to our beautiful new house, and be able to be with all of my kids. Even better is the fact that Mike gets to stay home for over a month and help out with our cute kids. Eliza had dark blue eyes, and crazy black hair (that sticks up everywhere just like her sisters). I feel so blessed that everything went so well, and turned out fabulously. We are so grateful for the many prayers on our behalf. My little Eliza is our true miracle.










No comments:

Post a Comment