So my princess Hailey was acting a little too much like a spoiled princess. She was complaining every time she got dressed, did her hair, cleaned her room, or took a batch. Some of the problem was the transition from summer to fall. She is my summer girl, and when cold weather hit she did not want to wear anything but dresses or shorts. That's how it started, and somehow she started having fits about everything else in her life. I lost my sweet Hailey and had this tantrum throwing crazy girl. Mike and I talked about what we should do and I came up with the Beauty and the Beast solution. Hailey loves anything princess, and Beauty and the Beast is definitely on her list of favorites. I saw that Bingham High School was doing a production of Beauty and the Beast and I thought it would be a great thing for Hailey to work towards.
I made up a chart and Hailey had to check off a certain number of things every week for 1 month in order to be able to go to Beauty and the Beast. She had to get dressed, let me do her hair, clean her room, and take bath's without whining or throwing a fit. I made it so if she did all these things during the day, she got a check mark. She had to get check marks 6 out of every 7 days a week. The first week was the hardest, and I had huge doubts that she would ever make it the month. Ben decided he wanted to go also, so we made him a similar chart, but switched up some of the activities. I think including Ben really motivated Hailey. He easily got his checks every day, so Hailey quickly saw that Ben would be going and she might not be. I was determined to not let her go if she slipped up at all just to prove a point, but she surprised me. From the 2nd to 4th week, she did amazing. I had my Hailey back and no more tiny-whiny. There were times when I'd ask her to do something, and I could tell she was going to go into whine mode. I just had to remind her of her check-marks and she'd snap right out of it. It was down to the last day, but she made it with enough checks and we got to go to the play. Mike stayed home to watch Eliza. Me, Aly, my mom, Ben and Hailey were able to go. It was so much fun, what an amazing production! Ben and Hailey were so impressed that the Beast was a teen aged football player, and they thought it was great that all the kids were in high school. Even better than Beauty and the Beast was the fact that this seemed to snap Hailey out of her crazy stage and she had done amazingly better ever since!
I made up a chart and Hailey had to check off a certain number of things every week for 1 month in order to be able to go to Beauty and the Beast. She had to get dressed, let me do her hair, clean her room, and take bath's without whining or throwing a fit. I made it so if she did all these things during the day, she got a check mark. She had to get check marks 6 out of every 7 days a week. The first week was the hardest, and I had huge doubts that she would ever make it the month. Ben decided he wanted to go also, so we made him a similar chart, but switched up some of the activities. I think including Ben really motivated Hailey. He easily got his checks every day, so Hailey quickly saw that Ben would be going and she might not be. I was determined to not let her go if she slipped up at all just to prove a point, but she surprised me. From the 2nd to 4th week, she did amazing. I had my Hailey back and no more tiny-whiny. There were times when I'd ask her to do something, and I could tell she was going to go into whine mode. I just had to remind her of her check-marks and she'd snap right out of it. It was down to the last day, but she made it with enough checks and we got to go to the play. Mike stayed home to watch Eliza. Me, Aly, my mom, Ben and Hailey were able to go. It was so much fun, what an amazing production! Ben and Hailey were so impressed that the Beast was a teen aged football player, and they thought it was great that all the kids were in high school. Even better than Beauty and the Beast was the fact that this seemed to snap Hailey out of her crazy stage and she had done amazingly better ever since!

No comments:
Post a Comment